Worldwide, construction industry shows an enormous growth potential. It is a good career option for those looking for job satisfaction and lifelong learning opportunities. It involves variations in jobs such as constructing a residential apartment/house, institutional and commercial constructions, heavy industrial construction and civil engineering such as building of bridges, dams and highways. The construction process can be summarized as comprising of design, construction, operation, maintenance, renovation and demolition. It is important to understand that construction industry is very different and complex as compared to other industries since it has a number of variables. Each project is unique with different nature of work, placed on different locations, involves different types of skilled and unskilled labours, and produce different types of products. In the modern era, the large scale projects make use of increased automation and more complex processes. Due to its extremely challenging nature of work, there is existence of hazard during every project. Thus, construction industry is regarded as a high risk work environment as compared to others.
Although this being the case, in last few decades construction industry has shown a speedy growth. The initial years are very important for ‘a beginner/starter’ in order to have good future. Since it directly impacts life of people, hence building strong and reliable structures becomes necessary to gain life-long confidence and trust of people. This leads to increase in number of customers and thereby generation of a brand name. However, this journey may not be easy due to number of variables.
The following are some of the important variables which need to be considered for gaining initial success in the construction industry:
- Good and ample financial resources.
- Study of the location and the climate conditions. Be aware of the potential dangers.
- Employing professionals with construction management degrees: they have knowledge about building a structure. They are analytical and have good problem solving abilities.
- Employing educated and skilled laborers with an aim to retain them permanently rather than on contract.
- Due to rapid evolution of technologies training needs to be imparted to the workforce (labor, professionals and management).
- Encouraging good partnership, leadership, and teamwork
- Investing in R&D activities to enable high quality construction
- Good planning and effective execution so that work progresses in a smooth way.
- Health and safety of construction workforce is important to avoid fatal injuries/deaths. This will benefit in terms of time, cost and daily operation. Hence, it is essential to set up a safety culture for good working environment.
- Affordability, delivery on time and few occupant related illness and injuries.
- Constructions should be environmentally safe, healthy and fulfilling human needs.
Among these, the construction quality and occupational safety and health are fundamental issues to be given priority. When all these variables are considered and accordingly work is planned, it will lead to 90% success in the construction activities and lead to safe and healthy constructions. This enables to win customer’s trust and will guarantee success in future of construction industry.