In industrial automation maintaining the safety of the construction equipment is one of the most crucial factors. Safety is the integral part of machine functionality. Safety systems standards include stopping and stand still, speed of the machine and the direction in which the machine rotates.
Principles to be followed by machine manufacturers:-
- Construction equipment should be constructed or designed in such a way so as to ensure minimum hazards.
- Take necessary precautions against accidents that cannot be controlled.
- Inform the users of the risk that can happen despite all possible precautions being taken.
Tips that are mentioned in the Machinery Directive for functional safety
- Risk reduction through assessment:-It consists of two parts- Risk analysis and Risk reduction.
- Determining functionality and safety performance steps to either wipe out the risk or to reduce it to a minimum level.
- Implementing functional safety by designing the equipment safety system functions.
- Verifying whether functional safety meet the demarcated requirements.
- Validating functional safety to ensure the system function is successful in minimizing the risks.
- Documenting functional safety through user documentation.
What are the simple steps to boost construction equipment safety?
- Establishing systematic procedures for identification, assessment and cleaning the equipment after its use.
- Clear the work area away of any debris, stone chips and trip hazards.
- Before kick the equipment on, check for loose bolts, nuts and screws.
- If the machine does not sound properly then switch off the machine and try to find out what is wrong with it.
- Sometimes some dirt particles get inside the machine bearing of the equipment which is generally caused by use of compressed air to clean the machines.
- Hiring and giving proper training to the technical team to control the storage of the hazardous substances.
- Equipment idle reduction and control can minimize the amount of diesel used and thus can prolong the life of the equipment.
Some industrial companies make use of the custom software to ensure continuity in the implementation of the preventive maintenance procedures. The only administrative expense to detect the consistency in the maintenance program is the labor time to get a record of maintenance requirements.
An effective program to manage the safety of the construction equipment is very essential. To increase equipment efficiency and life of the engine, periodic replacement of fuel and water filter is necessary. One should replace the battery before it fails. Monitoring fuel consumption and oil consumption help to detect problems. Measuring the viscosity of the oil help to find out the chemical changes that the oil undergoes due to its thermal degradation. And finally the person should apply appropriate lubricant and regularly to boost the construction equipment safety.