Being involved in the construction industry and not having to deal with heavy construction equipment is like learning to swim without getting wet- in short, impossible. And when these equipment are so important a part of the entire business, it is only best to be aware of certain basic aspects first. Among the many heavy equipment that are put to use in the construction forum, the motor grader definitely qualifies as being one of the most important.
Getting To Know a Motor Grader
If you are into the arena of construction, then you need to be well aware of what a motor grader is all about. Also known as the road grader, the motor grader forms an important part of particularly the road construction industry. Used for the purpose of creating a flat surface during the process of grading, a typical motor grader has an engine and a cab positioned over the two rear axles and another axle at the front of the equipment. You must have noticed that before a road is covered with asphalt, the dirt is graded and smoothed over for the final layering. The equipment which flattens the surface and makes it ready for the final asphalt covering is the motor grader.
The Basics of Operating a Motor Grader
The construction of a good road largely depends on how well the base for laying the asphalt has been created. And for the base to turn out good, it is important to operate motor graders in a proper manner.
- The very first thing that a motor grade operator needs to keep in mind with respect to the operation of the heavy equipment is performing the safety checks before starting a day with the grader. Make sure that the motor grader is in perfect working condition and none of the parts are faulty.
- It is important to have the gear of the motor grader in the perfect position for the work to proceed smoothly. It is wise if you do not move too fast with the grader, keeping it under control for overall safety and for having quality results.
- The correct way of operating the controls is another aspect that operators should pay attention to. There are two levels in the middle that help in operating the rotation of the blade. This is important, as it is the proper angling of the blades that will help you in locating the exact place where the debris are to be moved. These levels also help in circle shifts that are actually responsible for the rotation of the blades. Operators can also make use of the blade shift control in order to set the direction of the blade.
- The operators also have to ensure that the blades do not hit and damage the tires in any way while the rotation is on.
- There is also the fact that motor graders require different blades in order to fulfil different jobs. It is the duty of the operators to understand which blade would be suitable for the job at hand and then proceed accordingly.
Like any other heavy equipment, operating motor graders also require a professional hand at work. However, getting to know the basic aspects of the entire deal wouldn’t be too bad either.