Winter does not affect the humans alone; it puts in its harsh effects on the heavy construction equipment as well. Every winter season, the equipment therefore need a winterization, so that they can perform smoothly in heavy snow-fall, cold wind and freezing conditions and do not bother the owner with a heavy servicing invoice in the spring time. Every year the heavy construction equipment manufacturing companies spend thousands of dollars in replacing the parts of the heavy construction equipment that get damaged due to extreme winter conditions. The luxury of not bothering about the expenditure that one has to bare post winter, is very few can afford.
Winterizing your heavy construction equipment has a huge misconception among most of the users that it is required only during the winter, but taking care of the machines during other times of the year, when the temperature is very low, unlike the summer season, is not kept in mind.
When you want to winterize your equipment, you will have to start first with checking the parts of the equipment. There are quite some tips and measurements that are usually mentioned in the equipment usage manual. The user must go through these equipment manuals, so that the equipments are in proper surveillance of the users.
- Inspecting the basic parts of the machine is very important. It includes the whether the wiper is in working condition or not, if the lights are working properly or not and all other more important factors.
- Lubrication is very important in maintaining the heavy construction equipment’s working condition. Keeping the fuel tank of the equipment always full, especially during the winter season, will make it quite easy for the equipment to keep itself active.
- Keeping the fuel tank to the fuel level of 40 cetane is very important during the winter season. However, where the average temperature during winter is below -4 degree to -20 degrees, the fuel level should be 50 cetane.
- While using the heavy construction equipment in winter, the RPMs must be kept as low as possible, so that the equipment is kept warm.
- The suction filter and the hydraulic chamber, all must be tested and lubricated. The other parts that must be included in the checking list are brakes, gear boxes, steering, tires etc. are in proper working condition.
- If the heavy construction equipment is to be operated on snow and ice, then I t is very essential for the user to winterize the tire, because, if the tires are not winterized properly, they will not function properly.
If all these maintenance measures are taken properly, then the equipment will not trouble the users at all. But it is the responsibility of the users to go through these measurement tips and techniques before they leave their heavy construction equipment in the cold or go out to work with the equipment.